Sunday, October 12, 2008

of me and men

I've never been your typical girl.

Label me as a tomboy, maybe, but I don't think it's quite that clear cut. I don't think I could throw punches (or take them) and I'm not fond of bugs. I sometimes have a tendency to gravitate towards men though.

It's gotten me in trouble in the past (and present). Boyfriends get jealous. Girls get pissed. My friend Sam tried to explain that if I come across a girl that dislikes me, for what seems like no reason, it's most likely because I'm a "big flirt."

Flirt? I've been around legitimate flirts, and I'd rather not be grouped with them. If anything I'm the antithesis of a flirt; I'd like to think I embrace the knowledge that I have rather than bury it under a "dumb-helpless-girl" act.

For whatever reason, I'm not really intimidated by guys. Sure, I have my moments, but for the most part, I feel like my interests span a broad enough spectrum that I can interact well with any one-- male or female. And I like the fact I'm comfortable with the opposite sex, but it makes things that much more complicated.

Guys are easily led on to think I like them when I'm really just interacting with them as I would with any person. I do call all my friends endearing terms: boo, booface, sweetheart, lovebug, love, etc. I think more girls are less open and outgoing with the opposite sex, so I think the normal guy might interpret my signals as if he was talking a a typical girl.

But it's not just tricky for guys, it's hard for me too. If I'm into a guy, I don't know really how to show him. I'll most-likely treat him like other guys, but attempt to convey a little more interest. But guys can't read minds and I can't be more outgoing.

So the debacle persists; but I'm not really worried about it. It's a two-way street. If a guy is interested in me, he'll make moves too. And then I'll know I can more boldly show interest, with a lesser chance of rejection. But let's be real, senior year is for fun and friends.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

YAY! New updates! Interesting topic! I don't think you're a flirt, boo. Although I would say you're a "charmer," which might be my 1940s way of identifying flirtatiousnesses. But there are no bad things about being able to make conversations with everyone.

Yofred Moik said...

ive heard you speak of this situation so many times. but you word it just perfectly in this post. teach me how to flirt?

hi booface, honeycakes, sugarheart.

Anonymous said...

men are clueless and I mean this in the most positive light possible. If you let them know that you are interested in them, they think you want to go to bed with them. If you are a little shy and coy, they think you are playing hard to get but want to go to bed with them. If you ignore them, you are a bitch but still want to go to bed with them. Hence, most men are only interested in getting you into bed. If they are not thinking about how to get you into bed, they are thinking about sports or who they might meet in the next 15 minutes that might want to go to bed with them. Love them, be direct because they cannot make an inference, and you might as well go to bed with them and get it over with. It is inevitable.