Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I don't know why, but..

My stride was careful as I walked down Broadway with Chelsea.

"Chels, have I ever told you my absurd fear that I'm going to randomly fall in such an awkward way that my bones will just snap?"

It's true. I usually walk with caution anytime I'm in a pair of heels, but lately I have this luring fear that I'm going to fall in such a way that would cause my ankle/knee/whole leg to snap in half.

I have never seen this actually happen and I have never broken a bone in my body (knock on wood), so I am not sure what has generated this gruesome phobia.

And apparently, I am not alone.

"Well, I don't know why and don't judge me but I have this terrifying fear that someone is going to throw acid in my face," Chelsea said.

My god. I thought my bone-breaking fear was bad, but Chelsea's living nightmare was much more delibitating, and hopefully unlikely to happen.

Phobias form based on three factors: genetics, culture and experience, according to About.com. Genetics can be hit or miss, sometimes affecting twins but not always affecting family members in the same bloodline.

I think Chelsea and I have phobias that have been shaped by culture. I have seen people break bones on TV and Chelsea said she read about acid attacks in a magazine. I wonder what ignited within us to bring these random stories to be legitimate fears that rest in our subconscious.

What are your odd phobias?

3 comments:

Catherine said...

leaving a baby somewhere and forgetting where, getting kidnapped and becoming feral.

you asked.

Anonymous said...

having my hand suddenly slip into the garbage disposal while it is running.

Jhshaw44 said...

having a poisonous insect climb into my body when I am pooping and lay eggs inside of me.