Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A rolling stone gathers no moss

During the spring semester of my freshman year, I went to the gym every morning when it opened at 6 so I could do an hour of cardio before I had class at 9:30. I quit drinking for the whole semester. I had a full schedule with classes that required me read every night, and I did those readings. I made dean’s list that spring and got down to my goal weight.

Slowly but surely I’ve grown less determined (see: lazy) over the past four years. The success doesn’t feel as rewarding at the end of the day, and it sure doesn’t make up for the struggles had to get there (hunger, tired, discomfort).

I don’t know what happened. I try to blame it on a list of excuses. I’m only taking 12 credits this semester, one of which is an internship at a newspaper and three others that are classes that have homework but I’ve determined I can get by without doing the readings. I try to explain that because I have so much free time, I don’t have motivation to work or work out. That doesn’t make any sense, but at the same time we all know how that feels (see: lazy).

It also helps that there’s no consequence. If I don’t stick to my diet, what’s the harm? I’m not overweight. I don’t think I look disgusting. Why do I put myself through discomfort if I don’t really want it? If I don’t do a reading, I will still get a good grade in the class. If I don’t go to that lecture, I’ll still be able to learn anything I missed from someone else.

It’s a burden and a gift. I can skip out on obligations and not feel the burn, but at the same time, I’m not bettering myself. I’m giving in to failure (see: lazy).

The thing is I should care. I have the capacity to be a really great person. I don’t have any illnesses or disabilities. I have, clearly, lots of time. So, what’s holding me back?

I think I need to read this blog every morning I wake up.

When googling "cures for being lazy," wallywalnut.com suggests:
1. Clearing your mind
When I have too many ideas rattling around in my head, fighting for my attention, I get overwhelmed and end up not wanting to do anything
2. Put your life in perspective
Laziness often requires a shock to your awareness to break you out of the little trance you are in. You are in a comfortable place and you think all is well. But then someone you love dies, or you get a huge bill come in that you don't have money for, and then it's like having a cold shower of reality -- it wakes you up to what you should have been doing.We have to think about what we want, and realize that time is running out, and if we don't do it, we will never experience the things we want to achieve in life.
3. Note the power of momentum

Laziness is just a habit, and habits take consistent effort to change for at least 30 days. Just keep moving and focusing on doing one thing after another. It's like stoking a fire, you have to poke the embers to get the flame going again. Avoid the actions or activities that lead to you feeling lazy: don't go to bed late and then sleep in till late in the morning. The person who isn't busy and occupied makes a big deal out of simple tasks, and puts them off, or takes ages with them. Become busy, keep your energy flowing, stay in motion through the day. The mind loves to be occupied, purposeful and focused -- these give it great energy and a sense of meaning.
4. Get emotional

Another good way to get yourself going is by comparing yourself to others. There comes a point where your laziness really hurts your self-esteem because you will find yourself getting left behind by your peers. This aspect of life is particularly noticeable if you are wanting to attract a partner. If you are lazy, you will have very little to offer them.
5. Reframing situations

Laziness is often quite selective. A man is lazing on a bench because he doesn't want to paint the wall but if a beautiful woman appears and asks for his help, he will jump up and help her (suddenly finding the energy!). What we have to do is find the thing(s) that we love to do, and see if there is anyway that we can do that as a career.

No comments: